All games will be played by USSSA rules, with the following addendums:
- Time limit for all games is 71 minutes. Time begins after the pre-game conference. Time limit could change in case of tournament interruptions. All teams should be prepared to start their game up to 10 minutes early in case we are ahead of schedule. (This will help the tournament keep on time)
- Once time has expired, the game will end if the losing team is trailing by the number of allowed runs per half inning +1.
- Regulation games will be defined by the type of game that it is.
A. Pool play: Games will be 6 innings or time limit. If the game is tied at the end of regulation, it will be declared a tie.
B. Bracket Play: Games will be 6 inning or time limit. Games that are tied at the end of regulation will use the ITB rule until a winner is declared.
- Run rules: 12 runs after 3 innings; 10 runs after 4 innings; 8 runs after 5 innings.
- Team manager may consult with the umpires; players, sponsors and other coaches are to keep out of discussions.
- No smoking or tobacco use on the field or in the dugouts.
- Roster Batting will be required during the ENTIRE tournament. Due to MSP allowing roster batting, there are some additional rules that need to be clarified:
A. Injury: If a batter cannot fulfill her time at bat due to injury or illness, that player will be eliminated from that entire game. Her spot will be skipped in the batting order. Teams will not be required to take an automatic out UNTIL they drop below 9 players.
B. Ejections: A player ejection while roster batting will result in the team losing that player for the entire game. Her spot in the batting order WILL be an automatic out.
- Teams can score a maximum of 5 runs per half inning.
- Special 8U Coach Pitch Rules
- Playing Field: Bases 60 ft., Pitching 35 ft., Infield Safety Arch 27 ft. from Home Plate, Pitching Circle eight (8) ft. radius around the pitchers plate. Outfield: An area behind a line from the back side of each base from first to second, and from second to third base shall be designated as the outfield.
- Distance: The pitching plate will be placed at 35’.
- An At-Bat will consist of 5 pitches or 3 swinging strikes (if the final pitch is a foul ball, the at-bat will continue).
- There will be no walks.
- No bunting will be allowed.
- There will be no stolen bases allowed.
- Baserunners may not leave the base until the ball has has been pitched.
- On batted balls, once the ball is in control inside of the designated arc, baserunners must stop at the base they have obtained or the base that they are running to, provided the defense is not making a play on the runner.
- Courtesy runner will not be allowed for 8U division.
- Defensive players may not be stationed in front of the pitching machine. Also, players may not move in front of the pitching machine until the batter has put the ball in play.
- All outfielders must remain behind the outfield arc until the ball is hit into play.
- Two defensive coaches will be allowed on the field of play. Coaches must remain behind the Infield Arc.
- Teams will be allowed to play 4 outfielders.
- No Infield Fly Rule
- Coaching Conferences:
- Teams will be allowed one (1) offensive and one (1) defensive conference per inning.
- Winner of pool play will be determined by won-loss record. If tied the following tiebreakers will be used.
- If three or more teams are tied with the same record in a division, head-to-head may or may not be used to break ties.
- Once a level of tie-breaker is used, we DO NOT revert back to any steps of the tie-breaking procedure. We will continue on down the list until all ties are broken.
- Head to Head competition
- Runs allowed per game
- Runs differential (+/- of 8 runs per game)
- Coin Flip
- Teams my begin a game with 8 players. If the 9th spot is not filled when that spot comes to bat, it will constitute an out. The 9th player can be added to the line-up at any time.
- In case of a rain-shortened tournament, pool play games can be deemed official after 2 ½ innings of play (with home team winning) or 45 minutes of elapsed game time. This policy will only be used through pool play. In addition, if games are cancelled due to weather, there may be an adjustment in application of the tie-breaking procedures.
- If a team is playing an extra pool game, the runs allowed and the Win/Loss in that game will not count towards your total. However, the result of the game (win/loss) will be used in head-to-head consideration if a tie in pool play occurs.